Coming Up in ELC:
Applying to Undergraduate School on Zoom
- Learn about the undergraduate admissions process at UT, ACC, and other US colleges and universities.
- Wednesday, September 23, 2020
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm Texas Time
3 different ways to sign up!
- Push notifications on your smartphone- Go to rmd.at/utenglish, follow instructions to download Remind app.
- Text notifications on your cellphone- Text the message “@utenglish” to the number 81010 or (619) 618-2041.
- Email notifications- Go to rmd.at/utenglish, sign up for email notifications.
Upcoming Social Events:
Talk Time on Zoom
- Practice your English conversation skills with native English speakers!
- Tuesday, September 22, 2020
- 4:30 – 5:30 pm Texas Time
Pictionary Social on Zoom
- Super fun and challenging game! Guess the word from someone drawing pictures!
- Thursday, September 24, 2020
- 5:00 – 6:00 pm Texas Time
Visit the Harry Ransom Center From Home
Although the HRC is currently closed to the public due to COVID-19, you can visit from home HERE. View exhibitions, Ransom In A Minute videos, and grab 3 beautiful digital backgrounds for Zoom! Below are a few highlights from the HRC collections.
- This film captures the ground-breaking 1967 competitive drag beauty pageant. Watch The Queen: Ransom In A Minute on YouTube.
- Mary Ellen Mark, Diane Arbus, Andy Warhol and other famous artists took part in the event.
- Crystal LaBeija’s experience inspired her to found the International House of LaBeija, which is credited as the first house and famous in the house ball scene.
- The original film was thought lost after it failed to receive wide notice in the 1970’s, but was found at the Harry Ransom Center in 2019 by drag historian Joe E. Jeffreys. Read his interview with the Ransom Center Magazine.
- Watch this newly 4k restored film, streaming on Netflix, DVD, or Blu-ray!
- You can browse the scrapbooks of the legendary escape artist that cover the history of magic from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s.
- You can browse the digitized pages of this nearly 600-year old book which is 1 of only 20 surviving copies in the world of the first book printed with a printing press!