Coming Up in ELC:
Final Reception: TALENT SHOW
- Friday, August 5
- 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Texas Union Building – Santa Rita Suite (UNB 3.502)
- Winners of the Fall 2022 scholarship will be announced!
- Each semester, our final reception features a talent show.
- Past shows have included:
- songs- Karaoke style or musical instruments!
- martial arts demonstrations
- poems in many languages
- international fashion shows
- Don’t feel shy! Grab your friends and classmates to help you out!
- We will also put together a slide show of photos from throughout the fall. Please share your pictures here to add them to the show!
- When you’ve decided what you’ll perform, send me an email so that we can add you to the program and coordinate your audio and video needs.
- Please let me know by Monday, August 1 by 5:00 pm.
- We can’t wait to hear what you have planned!
Continuing Student Applications
- For Fall 2022
- Application available onlineHERE
- We would love to see you again!
Upcoming Social Events:
- Final Talk Time of Summer 2022!
- Practice your English conversation skills with native English speakers!
- Tuesday, July 26
- 4:30 – 5:30 pm
- In Person: PAR 101
Happy Hour Social at Cain & Abel’s
- Join your friends in the ELC for a fun happy hour social at Cain & Abel’s restaurant.
- Friday, July 29
- 4:00 – 5:30 pm
- In Person: Cain & Abel’s, 2313 Rio Grande St.
Blanton Museum of Art
- Contains 19,000 works in the collection, the Blanton showcases art from across the ages, from ancient Greek pottery to abstract expressionism.
- Ellsworth Kelly’s Austin, 2,715-square-foot stone building with luminous colored glass windows, a totemic wood sculpture, and fourteen black and white marble panels.
- Admission is FREE with your UT ID!
- Wednesday-Saturday: 10 am – 5 pm
- Sunday: 1 pm – 5 pm
- Monday and Tuesday: Closed
- Located at 200 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.
- The museum grounds are under construction, but they are still open! The entrance is on Brazos St. See Map
- Masks are strongly recommended inside the museum regardless of vaccination status.
- Visit the second floor of the Blanton Museum to see the “Assembly: New Acquisitions by Contemporary Black Artists” exhibit, featuring an assortment of paintings, drawings, sculptures, photographs and textiles created by contemporary Black artists. Although diverse in style and subject matter, many of the works have ties to Southern history and reveal what scholar Saidiya Hartman refers to as “the long afterlife of slavery.” The exhibit will be on view in the Huntington collection galleries through September 4, 2022. Read more about the exhibit.
Gee’s Bend Quilts on View: Included in the “Assembly” collection are two quilts from Gee’s Bend—a multigenerational community of Black women in rural Alabama who, since the 19th century, have transformed scraps of found fabric into bold, improvisational abstractions. The Blanton was honored to be one of five university museums to acquire quilts from Gee’s Bend in 2021. Read more about the collection
- Public Tours: Gain a deeper understanding of new key contemporary works of art or some of the collections’ fan favorites during these public tours.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of the tour. They can accommodate a maximum of 25 people on a first come, first serve basis. Please check-in with the Visitor Services Desk to secure your place.
- Sunday, July 24 at 3:00 pm
- Thursday, July 28 at 12:30 pm
- Sunday, July 31 at 3:00 pm